Saturday 12 April 2014

A little tip for packing toiletries when travelling!


As some of you will know, I have to travel regularly for hospital visits...and packing was a total nightmare! But now that I am used to it, I'm a pro at it!
The worst part of packing for me was my toiletries bag - full-sized items may not seem heavy individually, but they soon add up and you get weighed down - especially if like me you are trying to fit it all in a rucksack!
At first, I tried looking for travel-sized items in the shops, but soon discovered that they were a little too pricey for my liking - I even found that a couple of items were actually cheaper in the full-sized bottles!
So then I went on the hunt for empty travel-sized bottles and decided to decant some of the full-sized products that I already had into these. Nice and compact, light-weight, just what I needed...until I got to my destination and unpacked my things, only to discover that they leaked all over the inside of my toiletries bag and ruined some of my makeup! That was not much fun to clean up and I ended up having to buy more products!
Needless to say, I wasn't going to be using those bottles again...so back to square one on that.
I thought about it a lot and then one day whilst I was hunting around the internet for freebies, I had a brainwave  - why had I not thought of this sooner!?
I started to collect all of the free sample-sized toiletries that I could get my hands on! Now, in my experience, free samples can arrive within a week, but more often that not, I have found that they will arrive in four to six weeks when applying via a freebies website. However, if you e-mail or write to companies and ask, they do tend to arrive quite quickly.
The sample sizes are perfect if you are going away for just a short while. I usually know well in advance of the date that I am to be travelling, so this gives me plenty of time to look at what I need to get, and to apply for it in plenty of time. I've now got a little box that I keep surplus in, just incase I need to rush off any time and didn't have time to wait on them arriving.
The other great thing about this is that you get to try products that you may have not considered before and find that you really like them! Plus, it's something to do in your spare time :)

What do I typically look for to go into my toiletries bag for travelling when hunting for freebies?

  • Toothpaste
  • Cleansers & toners
  • Face moisturiser
  • Body moisturiser
  • Hand moisturiser
  • Foot creams
  • Shower gel or soaps
  • Face masks (great if you are really tired after a long journey and just want to relax in the evening!)
  • Make up
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Shampoo & Conditioner
  • Perfumes
Where do I look for them?
UK freebies websites, such as:

Free Stuff Finder UK (They also have US and Canada sites for those of you over there!)

It is also worth checking out pages of your favourite brands on Facebook, as they sometimes give out free samples!

This week, I have been working quite hard on freebie-hunting. So far I have scored: 
  • Manuka Doctor mini kit, worth £12.99, which you can grab HERE (just follow the instructions on their site and input the code to get it for free!)
  • Britney Spears Fantasy (naughty and nice remixes) sample-size Perfumes from HERE (only 20,000 available, first come first serve, so hurry!)
  • Gucci 'Made to Measure' fragrance (men's, for the Mr!) HERE
  • Oral-B 3D Whitening Toothpaste HERE
  • Essie nail varnish HERE
Thanks for reading, what are your favourite freebies? Have you found anything great this week that you would like to mention? Leave a comment below! 

Next week, look out for some product reviews, I have some really interesting things for you to see! 

Have a great weekend!



1 comment:

  1. So many decent offers there, thanks for the posting, great info :) I just got freebies from latest free stuff and wow free stuff, check these beauty products out - http://www.latestfreestuff.co.uk/free-health-and-beauty/free-body-shop-face-masks/ & http://www.wowfreestuff.co.uk/free-clarins-skin-booster/ ;)

    ReplyDelete